Your mind is the most complicated piece of the Universe that humans know about. Many rules govern it which are very mysterious and difficult to find. The study of all these different processes are included under the term PSYCHOLOGY, which we will explain with the Definition of PSYCHOLOGY which will also clear your question What is PSYCHOLOGY ? The approaches which has influenced PSYCHOLOGY has also been explained further .
What is PSYCHOLOGY/DEFINITION OF PSYCHOLOGY:
The Definition of Psychology has evolved over the last few decades. Some have defined it as an ART while some have defined it as a SCIENCE but mostly it is defined as ” STUDY of MIND and BEHAVIOR”.
PSYCHOLOGY is that department which deals with the scientific
study of human and animal behavior,and mental processes. It takes into consideration What, How and Why we think of any particular thing; Why we do what we do and how we feel in different situations in our life; things going around in the society, world and the environment. These all are based on scientific research which involves a range of methods, experiments, case studies and observations.
Field of PSYCHOLOGY is somewhat tackling big questions like – How can Human do horrible things and torture other HUMANS? and How come we know that these things are Horrible? What is MENTAL ILLNESS ? and What we can do about it ?
PSYCHOLOGY deals with how it applies to our lives, our minds and to our hearts and how it deepens the understanding with each other, with our world and ourselves. Psychology has been guided by many approaches like –
BIOLOGICAL approach – It looks for how our Nervous system,hormones and other Biological processes have affected our behavior towards the world, our loved ones, and even towards yourselves.
- The funniest people are often the most depressed ones.
- Psychologists have determined that Prayer or attending religious services, decreases Psychological distresses.
COGNITIVE approach – It studies the internal mental processes of our brain which includes learning, reading, how people behave, what they think and how they perceive it, their communications with others. Its practical applications include-How to improve memory, increase the accuracy of decision-making.
- People make judgement by brain processes when they receive little information about anything.
- Learning Environment are more important than Learning Performance to learn or remember anything.
- Forgotten memories are not dead and it has not been replaced by recent ones, they are still alive.
DEVELOPMENTAL approach- It is the study of systematic PSYCHOLOGICAL changes that every individual experience during the course of his/her life span. It focus on infants and young Children, but teenager and adults have also been included in it.
- Researchers have found that parenting styles can influence child development outcomes.
- Growth follows a directional pattern, in case of physical development in early Childhood.
- Caregivers way of talking with their Children plays an important role in language development of Child.
ORIGIN OF PSYCHOLOGY:
PSYCHOLOGY has advanced since the last 150 years but its origin can be traced back to GREECE, around 400-500 BC. The word PSYCHOLOGY is derived from the GREEK word PSYCHE which means “BREATH, SOUL, SPIRIT” and the word logia means “THE STUDY OF HUMAN SOUL, BEHAVIOR”.
Scientific PSYCHOLOGY got its start in 1879 in GERMANY when Physician WILHELM WUNDT set first PSYCHOLOGY LABORATORY at the UNIVERSITY of LEIPZIG. The first true book on PSYCHOLOGY was also published by WILHELM WUNDT named “PRINCIPLES OF PHYSIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY”.
tags:- what is psychology, psychology definition