If you’ve heard of him as Lao Tzu, Laozi, or Lao-Tze it is clear that this “Old Master” was a Chinese philosopher and writer. This collection of Lao Tzu quotes gives insight into the wisdom of this man and his philosophy.
In existence in the period between the 4th and the 6th century B.C., this semi-legendary character has played a pivotal role in Chinese tradition for millennia. Lao Tzu has traditionally been thought to be the creator of the Tao Te Ching, an ancient Chinese text that explains Tao (or Dao) as the source of all existence. Tao (or Dao) as the foundation of every aspect of existence.
Tao is an invisible but inaccessible force that is impressive and yet humble. This is an ideal that lies at the heart of everything.
The creator of the Tao Te Ching, Lao Tzu is regarded as the spokesman for philosophical Taoism as well as a god in both the religious Taoism as well as various other ancient Chinese religions.
Primarily derived from this fundamental text, the words of Laotzu concern the return to the natural world, finding peace and being in the present. We’ve collected the most inspiring Lao Tzu quotes to give you the motivation you need to live your life better.
Know more about Lao Tzu.
1. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” -Lao Tzu
2. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” -Lao Tzu
Subscribe to Motivational WizardGet a weekly email magazine jam-packed with all the best posts from Motivational Wizard.
3. “Knowing others is intelligence;knowing yourself is true wisdom.Mastering others is strength;mastering yourself is true power.” -Lao Tzu
4. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” -Lao Tzu
5. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” -Lao Tzu
6. “Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.” -Lao Tzu
7. “When you are content to be simply yourself and don’t compare or compete, everyone will respect you.” -Lao Tzu
8. “The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth.” -Lao Tzu
9. “Time is a created thing. To say ‘I don’t have time,’ is like saying, ‘I don’t want to.” -Lao Tzu
10. “The best fighter is never angry.” -Lao Tzu
11. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.” -Lao Tzu
12. “If you are depressed you are living in the past.If you are anxious you are living in the future.If you are at peace you are living in the present.” -Lao Tzu
13. “A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.” -Lao Tzu
14. “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.” -Lao Tzu
15. “Be content with what you have;rejoice in the way things are.When you realize there is nothing lacking,the whole world belongs to you.” -Lao Tzu
16. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” -Lao Tzu
17. “At the center of your beingyou have the answer;you know who you are and you know what you want.” -Lao Tzu
18. “Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?” -Lao Tzu
19. “Silence is a source of Great Strength.” -Lao Tzu
20. “Stop thinking, and end your problems.” -Lao Tzu
21. “The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.” -Lao Tzu
22. “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” -Lao Tzu
23. “Manifest plainness,Embrace simplicity,Reduce selfishness,Have few desires.” -Lao Tzu
24. “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.” -Lao Tzu
25. “A leader is best When people barely know he exists Of a good leader, who talks little,When his work is done, his aim fulfilled,They will say, “We did this ourselves.” -Lao Tzu
26. “Act without expectation.” -Lao Tzu
27. “Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment” -Lao Tzu
28. “From wonder into wonder existence opens.” -Lao Tzu
29. “If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.” -Lao Tzu
30. “The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.” -Lao Tzu
31. “Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.” -Lao Tzu
32. “To a mind that is still the whole universe surrenders.” -Lao Tzu
33. “To understand the limitation of things, desire them.” -Lao Tzu
34. “Be still. Stillness reveals the secrets of eternity.” -Lao Tzu
35. “There is a time to live and a time to die but never to reject the moment.” -Lao Tzu
36. “To know that you do not know is the best.To think you know when you do not is a disease.Recognizing this disease as a disease is to be free of it.” -Lao Tzu
37. “Because of a great love, one is courageous.” -Lao Tzu
38. “An over sharpened sword cannot last long.” -Lao Tzu
39. “When you accept yourself, the whole world accepts you.” -Lao Tzu
40. “Sincere words are not fine; fine words are not sincere.” -Lao Tzu
41. “The way of heaven is to help and not harm.” -Lao Tzu
42. “What is firmly rooted cannot be pulled out.” -Lao Tsu
43. “He who talks more is sooner exhausted.” -Lao Tzu
44. “Take care with the end as you do with the beginning.” -Lao-Tzu
45. “As soon as you have made a thought, laugh at it.” -Lao Tzu
46. “A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar.” -Lao Tzu
47. “Not seeking, not expecting, she is present, and can welcome all things.” -Lao-Tzu
48. “One who is too insistent on his own views finds few to agree with him.” -Lao Tzu
49. “When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready… The teacher will disappear.” -Lao Tzu
50. “Love is of all the passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart, and the senses.” -Lao Tzu