Guru Purnima is celebrated as a day to express gratitude and love for our teachers. The day is dedicated to our teachers and gurus who have helped us in our lives. We express our love and gratitude by celebrating the day in their honor. This year, Guru Purnima will be celebrated on 13th July, 2022.
Guru Purnima History
Guru Purnima is a Hindu festival that is celebrated on the full moon day in the month of Ashadha.
Guru Purnima is celebrated to commemorate the birth of Ved Vyasa, who is the author of the holy book Mahabharata. He is also considered to be the compiler of the Vedas, which is a collection of hymns and sacred scriptures of Hinduism.
Guru Purnima is a festival that celebrates the birthday of Ved Vyasa. Ved Vyasa is known as one of the most renowned Gurus of ancient India. He is known for his teachings and his contributions to the Vedic texts. Ved Vyasa was born on the Full Moon of the Hindu month of Ashadha. In Sanskrit, “Purnima” means a full moon night.
This festival is observed during the North Indian calendar month of Ashadh (June-July) and by Hindus in Nepal. It is believed that Ved Vyasa divided the Vedas into four parts. He is also remembered for making the eighteen Puranas, which are scriptures of Indian culture and traditions . It is believed that the Ved Vyasa gave discourses on the Puranas during this day.
The word guru comes from the two Sanskrit words ‘gu’+’ru’. Gu’ means someone who removes the darkness or ignorance from our lives and ‘ru’ means to show us the right path. Gurus are so named because they teach us the right things and show us the right path, thereby removing the darkness from our lives.
According to popular belief, on this day, Gautam Buddha had given his first sermon in Uttar Pradesh.
People also take a dip in the holy river Ganga on the occasion of Guru Purnima.
Guru Purnima Significance
Guru Purnima is a day that celebrates teachers. Teachers sacrifice and work hard. They don’t get paid as much as most people, but they still do their job well. On this day, many people will show their appreciation for the teacher by giving them things like flowers and other gifts related to the subject they teach.
On this auspicious occasion, many people like to share their emotions in words with their gurus. Here is a list of some wishes, quotes and WhatsApp messages that you can share on Guru Purnima.
Inspirational Guru Purnima Quotes
1. The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called ‘truth’—Dan Rather
2. You walk with Guru, You walk in the light of existence, away from the darkness of ignorance, you leave behind all the problems of your life and move towards the peak experiences of life. – Unknown
3. To the world, you may just be a teacher but to your students, you are a hero! Happy Guru Purnima! – Unknown
4. Today is a special day to be grateful and thankful. I want to say thank you for making my life worthwhile. I wish you all a Happy Guru Purnima!- Unknown
5. We should be grateful for the people who have helped us become the person we are today. Happy Guru Purnima! Happy Guru Purnima! — Unknown
6. This day celebrates the greatness of the teachers in our lives. We remember all the teachings that they have shared with us and we are grateful for their presence in our lives. There will be no darkness in your life, when there is the ray of light of your blessings and teachings.– Unknown
7. Follow your Guru’s guidance and you will be successful. Happy Guru Purnima!– Unknown
8. Happy Guru Purnima! You are a hero to your students and they look up to you. You have the power to change their lives for the better. May god’s blessings always be with you.– Unknown
9. It is an incomparable journey where the Guru leads you from the visible to the invisible, from the material to the divine, from the ephemeral to the eternal. The Guru is your guide on this journey, and they help you to move from the physical world to the spiritual world. They also help you to move from what is temporary to what is eternal. I am grateful for my Guru’s guidance on this journey. Happy Guru Purnima. — Unknown
10. Guru is an aspiration, Guru is an inspiration, Guru is everything. May Guru’s blessings always shower on you. Happy Guru Purnima! – Unknown
Click here for Graduation Quotes, else keep scrolling for more Guru Purnima Quotes
11. Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom -Marcel Proust
12. Dearest mom and dad, you two have been my role models for life. Thank you for filling my life with inspiration and so many things to learn. Happy Guru Purnima to you. – Unknown
13. I have had many teachers in my life, but the one who stands out the most is the one who made a real difference. You are certainly better than the best. Happy Guru Purnima.– Unknown
14. I always pay my tribute to you. Thank you for being my Guru and leading me out of my ignorance. You made me come to handle the problems all because of you. Happy Guru Purnima!– Unknown
15. Happy Guru Purnima! You are my light in a dark night of pain. Your thoughts, words, and actions will always remain with me.– Unknown
16. I am so fortunate that I always had so much clarity in my life. Wishing a very Happy Guru Purnima to my parents who are the reason for this clarity.- Unknown
17. The two gurus of my life who have always been there whenever I have needed them since the time I was born, I wish my dearest parents a very Happy Guru Purnima. – Unknown
18. Worshipping the feet of the Guru is the ultimate of all worships – Sri Guru Pranam
19. Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a guru, no one can crossover – Guru Nanak
20. A master can tell you what he expects of you. A teacher, though, awakens your own expectations —Patricia Neal
See what famous CEOs has to say about this at motivational quotes by famous CEOs section.
21. To the world, you may be just a teacher but to your students, you are a hero! May guru’s blessings Always shower on you. Happy Guru Purnima!
22. The good teacher makes the poor student good and the good student superior —Marva Collins
23. May you realize the true purpose and potential of life. On this Guru Purnima, my Grace is upon you. – Sadhguru
24. A Guru’s purpose is not to create disciples in his own image, but to develop disciples who can create their own image. Happy Guru Purnima.– Unknown
25. A guru’s purpose is to help others find their way in life. They do this by sacrificing their own happiness and well-being for the sake of those around them.– Unknown
26. Teachers who teach from the heart are the best teachers. They understand their students and help them learn in a way that is best for them. Happy Guru Purnima Day!– Unknown
27. Love is what fills Gurus heart and gives them the courage to share their knowledge with others.– Unknown
28. Nothing is possible without Guru in our eternal life. He is everything to us. Happy Guru Purnima– Unknown
29. A man should first direct himself in the way he should go. Only then should he instruct others. – Gautam Buddha
30. A good teacher is like a candle – it consumes itself to light the way for others —Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
Explore interesting messages about your Karma (action, work, or deed) at Karma quotes
31. You are the inspiration, Made me win with a spirit. It wouldn’t have been possible without you, Happy Guru Purnima! – Unknown
32. Stick to the way you are now, Follow the paths shown by your Guru, The shine will come to you, You will be the star of your life, Happy Guru Purnima!
33. Guru Purnima celebrates the human ability to rise beyond physical nature, and the Greatness of Adiyogi, who made this possible. – Sadhguru
34. Guru is Shiva sans his three eyes, Vishnu sans his four arms, Brahma sans his four heads. He is parama Shiva himself in human form – Brahmanda Puran
35. There is no deity superior to the Guru, no gain better than the Guru’s grace … no state higher than a meditation on the Guru. – Muktananda
36. Guru is the creator Brahma, Guru is the preserver Vishnu, Guru is the destroyer Shiva. Guru is directly the supreme spirit — I offer my salutations to this Guru. – Adi Shankara
37. You were a light for me in the dark, You were an inspiration and an aspiration, Support me always, I will succeed in all ways. Happy Guru Purnima!
38.A guru is not someone who holds a torch for you, He is the torch. – Sadhguru
39. May your Being blossom to bring Bliss and Beauty to all. The Boundless Grace of the Guru is upon you. Love & Blessings. – Sadhguru
40. Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu, Guru Devo Maheshwaraha. Guru Saakshat Para Brahma, Tasmai Sree Gurave Namaha.
41. You are a light for me in the dark. Support me always and I will succeed in all ways.
42. It is an incomparable journey where the Guru leads you from the visible to the invisible, from the material to the divine, from the ephemeral to the eternal. Thank you for being my Guru. Happy Guru Purnima!
43. You may just be a teacher to the world, but to your students, you are a hero! Happy Guru Purnima!
44. Guru and God both appear before me. To whom should I prostrate? I bow before Guru who introduced God to me. – Kabir
45. I have a lot of people in my life who inspire me, but you are the one who stands out the most. You have been there for me through thick and thin, and I wouldn’t be where I am today without you. Thank you for always being by my side. Happy Guru Purnima!– Unknown
46. It is a journey where the Guru leads you from the visible to the invisible, from the material to the divine, from the ephemeral to the eternal. Thanks for being my guide. I am grateful for all that you have done for me. Happy Guru Purnima.– Unknown
47. Follow the path of your guru and you will be successful. Your guru will show you the way and you will find success. Happy Guru Purnima.– Unknown
48. Thank you for introducing me to myself and showing me the right way. I wish you a Happy Guru Purnima Day.– Unknown
49. On Guru Purnima, may you walk in the light of existence with the Guru, and leave behind all the problems of your life. May you move towards the peak experiences of life with happiness.– Unknown
50. Happy Guru Purnima! Thank you for being my Guru. It is an incomparable journey where the Guru leads you from the visible to the invisible, from the material to the divine, from the ephemeral to the eternal.– Unknown
51. I respect my Guru and I am grateful for the guidance they have provided me. I have been inspired by their teachings and they have shown me the right way to live. They have been my role model and I am happy to celebrate Guru Purnima today.– Unknown
52. Thank you for your words of encouragement. They have helped me to achieve great success. On this special day, I want to thank you for everything you have done for me. May you continue to bless me with your wisdom and guidance. Happy Guru Purnima.– Unknown
Read more inspirational quote here => Inspirational Quotes