The Godfather is a popular American film on crime, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, who co-wrote the screenplay with Mario Puzo, scripted on Puzo’s best-selling 1969 novel of that time.
The story revolves around the Corleone family under patriarch Vito Corleone (Brando), concentrating on the transformation of his youngest child, Michael Corleone (Pacino), from hesitant family outsider to cold-hearted mafia boss.
Paramount Pictures got the legal rights to the novel for $80,000, before it became popular.
The movie was released on March 14, 1972 at the Loew’s State Theatre. On March 24, 1972, the movie was available in almost all theatres of the United States. The Godfather was a record breaking hit in 1972 and earned around $287 million at the box office.
1. I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.
2. Never let anyone know what you are thinking.
3. Great men are not born great, they grow great . . .
4. Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.
5. Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.
Subscribe to Motivational WizardGet a weekly email magazine jam-packed with all the best posts from Motivational Wizard.
6. He’d always been a man who followed his head and not his heart. The heart was just a bloody motor. The head was meant to drive.
7. Let us be separated by wars and pestilence, death, madness but not by the passing of time.
8. The lawyer with the briefcase can steal more money than the man with the gun.
9. I don’t trust society to protect us, I have no intention of placing my fate in the hands of men whose only qualification is that they managed to con a block of people to vote for them.
10. Forgive. Forget. Life is full of misfortunes.
11. Power wears out those who do not have it.
12. When they come… they come at what you love.
13. Accidents don’t happen to people who take accidents as a personal insult.
14. He smelled the garden, the yellow shield of light smote his eyes, and he whispered, “Life is so beautiful.
15. I spent my whole like trying not to be careless. Women and children can afford to be careless, men can not.
16. Do not count on the gratitude of deeds done for people in the past, you must make them grateful for things you will do for them in the future.
17. Time erodes gratitude more quickly than it does beauty!
18. Lawyers can steal more money with a briefcase than a thousand men with guns and masks.
19. You let women dictate your actions and they are not competent in this world, though certainly, they will be saints in heaven while we men burn in hell.
20. Why should I be afraid now? Strange men have come to kill me ever since I was twelve years old.
21. Actions defined a man; words were a fart in the wind.
22. Yet, he thought, if I can die saying, “Life is so beautiful,” then nothing else is important. If i can believe in myself that much, nothing else matters.
23. Men, in general, sooner forget the lost their matrimony than the death of their father.
24. Lampone made a gesture that said he would be patient, knowing his reward was certain.
25. It was a lie but he believed in telling lies to people. Truth telling and medicine just didn’t go together except in dire emergencies, if then.
26. A friend should always underestimate your virtues and an enemy overestimate your faults.
27. Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.
28. Your enemies always get strong on what you leave behind.
29. It was not perhaps the warmest friendship in the world, they would not send each other Christmas gift greetings, but they would not murder each other.
30. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.
31. A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.
32. The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, lies in its loyalty to each other.
33. Fredo you’re my older brother and I love you. But don’t ever take sides against the family…
34. I’m working for my father now. He’s been sick, very sick.
35. Some people will pay a lot of money for that information; but then your daughter would lose a father, instead of gaining a husband.
36. And I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her never to dishonor her family.
37. Italians have a little joke, that the world is so hard a man must have two fathers to look after him, and that’s why they have godfathers.
38. A man who is not a father to his children can never be a real man.
39. My father is no different than any powerful man, any man with power, like a president or senator.
40. Falling in love is great but being in love is a disaster.
41. Michael could never remember his father ever having uttered a word about death as if the Don respected death too much to philosophize about it.
42. They made it personal when they shot Pop. It is not business, it’s personal.
43. I Know It Was You, Fredo. You Broke My Heart. You Broke My Heart!
44. Some honorable men spend their whole life preparing for a supreme act of treachery.
45. I Trust These Men With My Life, Senator. To Ask Them To Leave Would Be An Insult.
46. For justice, we must go on our knees to Don Corleone.
47. We are all honorable men here, we do not have to give each other assurances as if we were lawyers.
48. I have a sentimental weakness for my children, and I spoil them, as you can see. They talk when they should listen.
49. Many young men started down a false path to their true destiny. Time and fortune usually set them aright.
50. Behind every successful fortune, there is a crime.