One of the most difficult things to deal with in life is being hurt by family. When a loved one hurts us or abandons us, it can upset us mentally, physically, and spiritually. Scroll down for hurt family quotes to express your sad feeling.
Family is supposed to be a source of support and love, so when that foundation is shaken, it can be very difficult to cope. However, there are ways to deal with the pain and rebuild your relationship with your family.
If you’ve been hurt by a family member, it’s important to give yourself time to grieve. This is a process that can take months or even years. Don’t be afraid to cry, scream, or get angry.
These are all natural reactions to pain. It’s also important to talk to someone who can help you process your emotions, whether that’s a therapist, friend, or family member.
Once you’ve taken some time to grieve, it’s important to try to forgive the person who hurt you.
This doesn’t mean that you have to forget what happened or that you’re condoning their behavior. Forgiveness is a way to let go of the anger and pain so you can move on with your life.
It’s also important to set boundaries with the person who hurt you. This means deciding what kind of contact, if any, you’re going to have with them.
You might decide to completely cut them out of your life or only have limited contact. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s something that you’re comfortable with.
We know it hurts when family let you down. Scroll through our collection of the best hurt family quotes, messages, and images to get over that pain.
Table Of Contents
Subscribe to Motivational WizardGet a weekly email magazine jam-packed with all the best posts from Motivational Wizard.
Family Hurt Quotes
1. You eventually learn to trust no one. Being alone sucks but at least you don’t have to worry about being let down or hurt again… – Unknown
2. I am not walking away because I have given up, it’s because I am the bigger person and deserve better. – Unknown
3. To avoid being hurt are almost impossible, but if you learn to ignore the pain that makes you even stronger. – Sharon Fouad
4. It hurts the most when your own family betrays you… – Unknown
5. It’s not love that hurts. What hurts is being hurt by someone you love. – Unknown
6. It doesn’t matter who hurt you, or broke you down, what matters is who made you smile again. – Unknown
7. People always talk about family being the most important thing in life but it’s usually family that hurts you the most deeply and painfully. – Unknown
8. There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds. – Unknown
9. Sometimes when the people you love hurt you the most. It’s better to stay quiet because, if your love wasn’t enough… Do you think your words will matter? – Unknown
10. Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family. – Unknown
11. If you are bitter, it will eat you up and do you much more damage than the people who have hurt you – Terry Waite
When Family Members Hurt You Quotes
12. Family is supposed to be there for you no matter what comes your way. Shame on the ones who are not, that’s not what family is about.- Unknown
13. What hurts the most is the feeling of being replaced. It feels like no matter what you did, it wasn’t enough. And no matter how hard you try and capture their heart again, nothing ever works.- Unknown
14. I don’t understand how family can hurt you more than a total strange could. – Unknown
15. They say family’s first, but family is the first to get you hurt. – Chrisper Malamsha
16. Some people tried to hurt us to protect themselves, their family and communities … This was one of the consequences of civil war. People stopped trusting each other, and every stranger became an enemy. Even people who knew you became extremely careful about how they related or spoke to you. – Author: Ishmael Beah
17. I wonder why I feel I am treated like an enemy in a place where I am supposed to be welcome. – Unknown
18. Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place where we find the deepest heartache. – Iyanla Vanzant I love him (Muse) too much, and you can’t hurt someone that you love that much … unless you’re family. – Jack White Emotional abuse is just as bad as physical abuse. Worse! You can heal broken bones, you can’t heal a broken mind. – Unknown
19. Sometimes, I’m not angry, I’m hurt and there’s a big difference. – Unknown
20. If I cut you off, chances are, you handed me the scissors. – Unknown
Family Hurt Quotes Images
21. I wish I could give you my pain just for one moment. Not to hurt you, but to make you understand how much you hurt me. – Unknown
22. Sometimes family was the cruelest form of love there was, for no one could hurt you more than the people who created you.-SC Stephens
23. I’ll make you a promise, Bodee. Long as you’re with my family, you won’t run out of Kool-Aid.” “And I promise you, I’ll stop whoever’s hurting you … even if it’s you. – Author: Courtney C. Stevens
24. Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you. – Unknown
25. Sometimes, being hurt too many times, doesn’t make you stronger, it destroys who you were, who you wanted to be, and makes you who you are today. – Unknown
26. Unfortunately, some family members are so psychotic that no matter how hard you try to forge a healthy relationship, nothing will help. – Unknown
27. Words don’t have the power to hurt you, unless the person who said them means a lot to you. – Unknown
28. Let’s get out of the habit of telling people, that’s still your mom, your dad, or your sister. Toxic is toxic. You are allowed to walk away from people that constantly hurt you.-Unknown
29. Hurt can make you blind to the truth – Abby Clements
30. It only takes a few seconds to hurt someone. But sometimes it takes years to repair the damage. Cherish the hearts that you love… – Unknown
Emotional Family Hurt Quotes
31. Family first always, but when family chooses to lie, manipulate and cover up, at my expense, they aren’t family anymore. Blood isn’t everything. – Unknown
32. Dear mom, I’m sorry I couldn’t make you any prouder of me. I’m sorry I didn’t turn out the way you wanted me to be. I’m sorry that I’m a disappointment to you. – Unknown
33. Peace, comfort, quiet, happiness, I have found away from home. Only your own family, those nearest and dearest, can hurt you. – Mary Boykin Chesnut
34. I’m sad, hurt, angry, mad, and disappointed. But you know what? I’ll put on a smile and move on. It will hurt, but I will survive. – Unknown
35. If you hold back your feelings because you are afraid of getting hurt, you end up hurting anyway. If you hold back your feelings because you are afraid of getting hurt, you end up hurting anyway.
36. Family… no one can hurt you as bad as they do. – Unknown
37. Forgiving someone is easy, but being able to trust them again is a totally different story… – Unknown
38. The person you’re mad at might have moved on, and they’re not even thinking about you. So, your anger isn’t hurting them it’s hurting you. -Sonya Parker
39. Sometimes you don’t need to hear their excuses or what they have to say for themselves because their actions already spoke the truth.
40. I’m not crying because of you, you’re not worth it. I’m crying because my delusion of who you were was shattered by the truth of who you are. – Steve Maraboli
Sad Family Quotes
41. Maybe I should treat you the same way you’ve treated me. Then maybe you will understand how much it hurts. – Unknown
42. Just because someone is ‘family’ doesn’t mean you have to tolerate lies, chaos, drama, manipulation and disrespect. – Unknown
43. You don’t know hate until your own family comes against you. – Unknown
44. Don’t ask why someone keeps hurting you. Ask yourself why you’re allowing them. – Unknown
45. When you’re growing up in a family without a lot of money and four boys, it can’t always be, ‘Let’s go see a specialist, see if you’re okay.’ If you got hurt, you just walked it off. -Ryan Reynolds
46. The truth is that everyone’s gonna hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for. – Bob Marley
47. Being hurt is something you can’t stop from happening, but being miserable is always your choice. – Unknown
48. Don’t worry, I am not going to make the effort anymore… you know how to find me. – Unknown
49. Don’t worry about the family that ignores you and acts like you don’t matter. Love the ones who are always there for you. – Unknown
50. Sometimes the people closest to you betray you, and your home isn’t a place you can be happy anymore. It’s hard, but it’s true. -P.C. Cast